- Kathrine Nguyen
Natural Methods to Protect Your Lung from Covid-19
We hope that you are doing well and safe during this time. As much as the coverage we’ve been getting, there are still a lot of we don’t know about this Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19). We do know that the incubation period can be a lot longer than the typical seasonal flu. The average is about 5-6 days but it can be longer than 2 weeks. There are variety of symptoms that come with this illness but the most worrisome is no symptoms and we may inadvertently be carriers that we are not aware of. At the moment, there is no definitive answer as to when this is going to end and how’s it going to end.
In the meantime, there is something we can do to strengthen ourselves and our immunity:
Stop Smoking: this disease is lung related and smoking is obviously not helpful.
Stop the intake of phlegm/damp producing foods and drinks (i.e. they make you fat, heavy and groggy). By collecting information from our colleagues who treated Covid19 patients, most of them have a very (either white or yellow) greasy tongue coating. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, the thick greasy tongue coating means you have phlegm or too much dampness in your body. These are some phlegm and damp producing foods we should avoid:
Dairy (also, most dairy product is acid-forming).
Limit your intake of animal products can build a heavy mucus that obstructs the breathing, sinuses, urinary tract, and general digestion.
3. Get adequate sleep every night. Sleep plays a critical role in immune function, metabolism, memory, learning, and other vital functions.
4. Exercise daily – Moderate exercise. You can rotate between yoga, taichi, strength training, walking, etc…
5. Medical Qi Gong: This exercise strengthen the respiratory system. It also stimulate lymphatic circulation along the meridians, and helps expel phlegm if you get sick. Here’s a simple medical qi gong routine:
First, loosen your right wrist. Begin slapping on your left outer arm to get use to the sensation. Moving up and down from the back of your hand to your shoulder and harder as you go. Do this for 1 minute. Now, turn and move your left arm accordingly to slap the elbow crease, the under arm and the region going to the collar bone (i.e. the Lung Meridian). Do this for 15 minutes. If the area is just red, it means no blockages. If the area turns dark red (black) or green, it means there is toxin, and your respiratory is weak, and you’ll need to continue slapping along the path where the toxin spread until the whole path turn red. Now repeat on the right side with your left hand. This can be done every other day.
6. Take multivitamin and increase your trace minerals intake. We recommend Bio Nativus’ Ionic Trace Minerals (5 - 15 drops per your glass of water, up to 5 times per day). This will make the body more alkaline to which can prevent infection.
7. Be in the sun up to 30 minutes daily. We recommend you do this within the first 2 hours of sunrise.
8. Gargle with salt water for 30 seconds after brushing. Natural salt is preferred.
9. Moxa on the following acupuncture point daily: ST-36 + CV 12 (or CV 6). For example, do the ST-36 + CV-12 for today, and ST-36 + CV-6 for tomorrow. Heat up the moxa stick on the points until you feel really hot, then change to another point. Moxa for about 10 - 12 minutes. If you do not know how to do moxa, you can use Salonpas and apply to those same points.
10. Natural herbal medicine: Chinese herbs has been proven effective in the prevention and treatment of both the COVID-19 and SARS in mainland China.